EFTERLEVANDEGUIDEN - a collaboration between public authorities intended to make it easier for those who have lost a loved one



When someone dies, for the vast majority of us it can be difficult to know what we need to do and in what order. Start by informing people of the death, then arrange the funeral and remember to cancel any subscriptions and direct debits.


You can use the Survivor’s Guide Checklist to see what practical things you need to do first. Take one thing at a time, starting with the most important.

Efterlevandeguiden Checklist (in English)

Efterlevandeguiden Checklist in PDF (in English) Pdf, 257.6 kB.

An adjustable Checklist according to date of death (in Swedish)


Contact the deceased’s bank about bills and direct debits

Review any joint accounts and credit cards and find out what bills need to be paid and how they should be paid; for example, by direct debit or e-invoice. There are certain bills that you must continue to pay. Others can wait until later. You will need your släktutredning so that the bank knows that you have the right to represent the estate.

Other things to keep in mind when administering the estate

Contact with the bank in the event of death, konsumenternas.se (in Swedish) External link.

Cancel or transfer subscriptions

You will need to decide whether subscriptions in the deceased’s name should be cancelled or transferred to someone else. This also applies to contracts such as electricity, refuse collection, telephony, TV and streaming services, home insurance, etc. You should also review any memberships.

More about cancelling and transferring subscriptions

More about cancelling and transferring subscriptions

Save and sort any documents related to the estate inventory

Open the post as it arrives and sort the documents that you will need later. This may feel like a bit of a muddle but try to separate them into separate folders.

Some documents should be included in the estate inventory, for example, bills you have paid or will need to deal with later and receipts for your own expenses that the estate may need to repay you.

Other things to keep in mind when dealing with the estate

Länka till Checklist of things you need to do

Power of attorney to represent the estate

If there are several parties to the estate, it may be practical to allow one person to represent the estate, in which case that person will need a written power of attorney from each of the parties to the estate and be able to present these in the original.

The Guide for Survivors of a Deceased Person includes a template for a power of attorney for the estate in PDF format that you can download and print out.

Länka till: Power of attorney from individual grantors


Financial support to spouses and children from the Swedish Pensions Agency

A spouse or child who is entitled to receive a survivor’s pension will general receive the pension without having to apply for it; however, in certain cases you may need to submit an application.

Spouses under 65 years of age who have not taken out a pension are entitled to a survivor’s pension. Widows born in or before 1944 may also be entitled to a widow’s pension.

You can learn more about the survivor’s pension to which you may be entitled at pensionsmyndigheten.se.

Länka om nedan länkar:

Adjustment pension to those under 65 years of age (in Swedish) External link.

Child pension up to 20 years of age (in Swedish) External link.

Widow’s pension (in Swedish) External link.

Death due to occupational injury (in Swedish) External link.

Survivor’s pension for those living abroad (in Swedish) External link.

Parental benefit from the Swedish Social Insurance Agency when a child dies

Parents who lose a child during childbirth or later in life can obtain parental benefit and temporary parental benefit. A special unit at the Swedish Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan) will contact parents and help them to apply for compensation. When a parent is in no fit state to work, they may be entitled to sickness benefit.

When a child dies, försäkringskassan.se (in Swedish) External link.

Deaths are registered with the Swedish Tax Agency

Government agencies and municipalities are automatically informed of deaths via the population register. Whenever someone dies in Sweden, a doctor must submit a death a certificate to the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket). If the death occurs abroad, you will need to contact the Swedish Embassy, which will then inform the Swedish Tax Agency.

How deaths are registered, skatteverket.se (in Swedish) External link.

Contact details for Swedish Embassies, swedenabroad.se (in Swedish) External link.

Payments from the Swedish Social Insurance Agency and the Swedish Pensions Agency stops

In most cases, if the deceased has been receiving compensation from the Swedish Social Insurance Agancy (Försäkringskassan), these payments will stop. Pensions and compensation from the Swedish Pensions Agency (Pensionsmyndigheten) is paid to the estate for the entire month in which the death occurred, after which these payments will also stop.

At Försäkringskassan.se, you can find more about compensation you are entitled to if you have lost a loved one or someone you have children with.

For those who have lost a loved one, försäkringskassan.se (in Swedish) External link.


Important dates in the event of death


  1. A funeral should be held within one month.
  2. The estate should be declared in the next calendar year.
  3. An estate inventory should be submitted within four months.

Take time off from work if you need to

The grieving process, not to mention the practical issues, can take time. Contact your employer or school if you need time off. As a close relative, in certain cases you may be entitled to receive sick pay or sickness benefit.

Entitlement to leave when a relative dies

Ask others to help you

Do not hesitate to ask for help with what feels difficult and to receive help if you are offered.

Last updated: 2022-07-08